søndag 28. desember 2008

New year, new possibilities...


It's getting close to 2009 and it's quite common to look back at the year that past. I had to pack up my workshop already November of 2007, and it was a challenge to get anything done this past year. I did, however, get some books made or repaired, and it has proved to be quite popular for people to get a monogram made. I think that's a great thing to get. People tend to follow traditions more, I guess. I take it as a challenge and try to make something special, thinking about how to create something traditional but also with my own slightly modern interpretation of a way to combine the letters.

I moved this past August and it has proved to take a long time for me to set up my workshop again with a full time job, two kids and a house that needs refurbishing...I also was teaching a course in calligraphy that stretched over 8 weeks. That was fun! This time there were 12 participants listed and having so many was a new experience for me.

Next year I will teach a bookbinding course (or maybe two?!) and I will try to arrange a new calligraphy course next autumn. I unfortunately did not manage to finish my book for the international bookbinding competition which was arranged by Designer Bookbinders. I kick myself for that, but I just had no time to do something wortwile. Therefore I will do my best to send off my book to Iceland. It's due in mid January so I still have time, and I have some ideas coocking already in my head. The book is beautiful, a long, portrait format with selected poems from Nordic poets, and my favourite Norwegian poet, Stein Mehren, is in it.

I has also been asked to have a lecture on goold tooling for the Leather Guilder's guild in January. That is something I have never done before, but I am looking forewards to it. I have some research to do first, though.

I have high hopes for 2009. Finally settled in my new house, things can only get better :)

Ingen kommentarer: